Young Adult Cohort Application
The LEAD Young Adult Cohort will include up to 12 young adults ages 21-30 and 2-3 mentors who will attend the LEAD Conference in San Diego, California from January 23 – January 27. Registration for the conference, hotel accommodations, and airfare or commuting costs will be covered by LEAD and sponsors. Each participant will be asked to pay a $150 participation fee. We encourage participants to reach out to their local churches, districts, and conferences for help in covering the participation fee and any other related expenses such as luggage fees, meals, and airport transportation.
This cohort of young adults will participate fully in the LEAD conference and have opportunities to interact with each other and mentors before, during, and after the event. The meetings before the LEAD conference will take place via Zoom. The cohort will then remain in the host city, San Diego, for an extra day after the conference ends for time of debrief, additional leadership support, and recreation as a way to build relationships formed at the conference. They will return home the next day and have a debrief Zoom call 30 days after the conference.
From that point, the mentors and participants will decide for themselves whether the cohort continues to meet periodically in an organized manner, or if the cohort has completed their work together and wish to move on to whatever is next.
The alumni of the LEAD Young Adult Cohort will then have an opportunity to return the following year to serve as peer mentors, help with organizing the conference, or give a LEAD talk. The hope is that this cohort will continue in perpetuity in order to continue to empower young leaders to empower other young leaders.
We are looking for the next generation of leaders committed to faith and action. Here’s our description of the ideal candidates:
- The religious dreamers, misfits, and wanders who yearn to experience a change of place and pace together in order to form relationships and community that extends beyond the LEAD conference.
- Sees a vision for the world and the Church that others cannot fully see or embrace. Desires a safer space to explore and bring those dreams to reality.
- Values peer and mentor relationships as a way to gain skills and knowledge necessary to bring about change through community, participation, and connectedness.
We believe by living out our core values of “Courageous, Collaborative, Vulnerable, Relational, and Hopeful” the next generation will finally experience meaningful community, participation, and connectedness in the United Methodist Church.
To apply click the button below. The form will ask you for information including the following:
- Name, contact info, and photo
- Name and contact info for pastor
- LEAD’s core values are Courageous, Collaborative, Vulnerable, Relational, and Hopeful. Describe how 2-3 have influenced your leadership.
- Of LEAD’s core values what is the value you struggle with the most? Why?
- What are 3 words you would like to live by in the last half of 2021 based on what you learned and experienced so far in 2021?
- How would you describe your relationship with God?
- What has been your experience in the life and mission of the Church?
- How has your participation in the church or serving impacted your life?
- Why do you want to be part of the LEAD Young Adult Cohort?
Applications are due by September 20th. You will be notified by October 1st.
If you have any questions or trouble with the Typeform, please contact [email protected].